Sunday 17 May 2009

The 5 Minute Chocolate Cake

My sister sent me this recipe for a no-fail chocolate cake that can be done in a microwave. Perfect quick fix for when you're craving cake at whatever time of day. I made this twice. Once where I followed the original recipe (with the oil) and the second time where I substituted the oil with melted butter and a pinch of salt. Oh, the original recipe had everything dumped into the coffee cup to mix. I decided to split the ingredients and mix them separately - less messy, and I could also ensure everything gets incorporated properly.

And yes, there is a difference in taste! The second with the butter, tastes richer. However make sure you use good cocoa. I'm fond of Van Houten whose cocoa is richer and more 'chocolatey' then Hershey.

Finally, this cake is best eaten warm, with ice cream or cream. When it sits for awhile, it gets a little harder, liked most things cooked in microwave.



5-minute Chocolate Cake

4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil (I substituted with 3 tbsps melted butter and added a pinch of salt))
3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
A small splash of vanilla extract
1 large coffee mug (MicroSafe)

1. Add dry ingredients in a bowl, and mix well. In a separate bowl, crack one egg and beat thoroughly.
2. Pour in the milk and oil (or the butter) and mix well. Add egg mixture to dry ingredients and mix.
3. Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again. Pour chocolate cake batter into mug.
4. Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts. (I'll cut down the time to 2 mins 45 secs.)
5. The cake will rise over the top of the mug and drip down the sides, but don't be alarmed!
6. Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate. it won't be the prettiest cake in the world, but it sure is tasty.

No comments: